Dr. Varindera Paul Singh, Consultant Neurosurgeon
Dr V.P. Singh, Consultant Neurosurgeon, India had his schooling at St Xavier’s School, Delhi. He did his MBBS from the prestigious All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and completed his internship in 1982. He then joined the direct 5 year course in Neurosurgery at AIIMS and was awarded the M.Ch. Neurosurgery degree in 1987. He also got his Diplomate of the National Board in Neurosurgery from the National Board of Examinations in 1989. He joined the King George’s Medical College (KGMC), Lucknow as a Lecturer in Neurosurgery. He went to UK for further experience and learned cerebrovascular surgery at Newcastle upon Tyne, UK and radiosurgery at Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield. He came back to India in December 1993 and joined All India Institute of Medical Sciences as a faculty and rose to become an Additional Professor and Unit Head of Neurosurgery. Here he was responsible for starting the Gamma Knife Unit and also developed the epilepsy surgery program. In both these fields namely radiosurgery and epilepsy surgery - he was one of the pioneers in developing these subspecialities in the country and is widely recognised for it. In 2002 he joined his previous teacher, colleague and mentor Prof A.K. Banerji at VIMHANS, New Delhi – a private specialized neuro-centre in Delhi. In 2007, both he and Prof Banerji moved to Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi where he is a Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon and Academic Coordinator, Neurosurgery.
Dr V. P. Singh’s, Consultant Neurosurgeon, India, competence covers all aspects of neurosurgery – cranial, spinal and peripheral nerves with special interest in brain tumor surgery, cerebrovascular surgery, epilepsy surgery and radiosurgery. He is a keen academician and researcher with over 70 published papers and chapters in books. He has trained several students who are well established neurosurgeons all over the country. He has served on the executive committee of several national societies dealing with epilepsy, cerebrovascular surgery, pediatric neurosurgery and stereotactic and functional neurosurgery. He is currently the Secretary of the Indian Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, Executive Committee Member of the Indian Society of Cerebrovascular Surgery and the Editor of the Journal of Pediatric Neurosurgery. Happily married with two children – Dr. V. P. Singh is fond of photography and travel.
|MBBS||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 1982|
|MCh Neurosurgery||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 1987|
|DNB Neurosurgery||National Board of Examinations, 1989|
|Professional Experience in Neurosurgery|
|Sep 1989 - April 1990||Neurosurgeon, St Stephens Hospital, New Delhi.|
|May 1990 - Dec 1991||Lecturer Neurosurgery, King George’s Medical College, Lucknow|
|Jan 1992 - Dec 1992||Registrar in Neurosurgery, Regional Neurosciences Centre, Newcastle General Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK|
|Feb 1993 - Mar 1993||Visiting Fellow Neurosurg, Regional Neurosciences Centre Newcastle General Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK|
|Mar 1993 - Nov 1993
||Registrar in Neurosurgery, Royal Hallamshire Hospital,
|Dec 1993 - June 1998
||Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery, All India Institute of
Medical Sciences, New Delhi
|June 1998 - July 2002
||Additional Professor of Neurosurgery, All India Institute of
Medical Sciences, New Delhi
|Feb 1999 - Mar 2001
||Unit Head of Neurosurgery Unit II, All India Institute of
Medical Sciences, New Delhi
|Aug 2002 - Feb 2007
||Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon, VIMHANS, New Delhi
|March 2007 onwards||Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- National Science Talent Scholar, Government of India
- Second position Delhi University, B.Sc. General Ist year
- Second position 1st Professional MBBS, AIIMS
- Prize for best student in Anatomy, 1st Professional MBBS, AIIMS
- Best paper award at the 4th Annual Indian Epilepsy Association Conference, 1996
- Best paper award at the 7th Annual Indian Epilepsy Association Conference, 1999
- Diploma of merit for excellent poster at 3rd Asian Conference of Neurological Surgeons Nagoya, 2000
- More than 65 scientific papers and chapters in books
- Invited speaker at several national and international conferences
|Membership Professional Societies including Executive position held|
- Member - Executive Committee of Indian Epilepsy Association 2001-02, 2003-04.
- Member - Executive Committee of Indian Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery 2001-04.
- Treasurer of Indian Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery 2004-07.
- Secretary of Indian Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery 2007 - 2011.
- Vice President of Indian Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery 2011 – 2013.
- Member – Executive Committee of Indian Society of Cerebrovascular Surgery 2008 – 2011.
- Treasurer of Indian Society of Cerebrovascular Surgery 2011 – 2013
- Member - Executive Committee of Indian Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery 2009 -
- Editor – Journal of Pediatric Neurosurgery 2009 –
- Secretary of Indian Society of Cerebrovascular Surgery 2013 –
- President of Indian Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery 2013 –
- CME Convenor – Neurological Society of India 2012 -
- Gamma Knife Radiosurgery, Epilepsy Surgery, Cerebrovascular Surgery, Surgery for brain tumors
- Started Gamma Knife Surgery and Epilepsy Surgery at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Have personally operated over 400 intracranial aneurysms and am actively involved in the treatment of arteriovenous malformations by radiosurgery techniques.
|Dr. Varindera Paul Singh News